Saturday, October 2, 2010

Magical Birthday Card

Here is a birthday card I made for my sister-in-law. When I sat down to do this I was in the mood for some serious "bling" and I just couldn't stop adding it.  I started out using the Wizard  from Cricuts Paper Doll Dress Up cart, cutting it at 4 inches (a calculation error I will explain later).  The blue paper used to make the hat and gown is DCWV glimmer stack.  I backed both pieces with some scrap yellow paper and then filled in each star with yellow stickles.  The very light blue cape and background papers are from scrap pieces of paper that I had.  I also spritzed the cape with some shimmer mist, the shoes also have shimmer mist on them but you can't really see that in the picture.  I used a little black chalk to add some streakes to the hair and cut the septer with gray paper then added silver stickles to it also.  The ribbon was some that I picked up from a clearance bin at Michaels.

If you are very familiar with the Wizard cuts in PDDU, you will know that the hat is not bent like I have it here.  This is where I had to be a little creative.  I realized that I cut the doll to large to fit on the card with the hat that is included but thought it was to cute to leave off, so I decided to cut it and "bend" the top part to look like the hat is bent over.  I then added a little yellow circle to the tip and of course it had to be "blinged up" with some stickles.  I think it turned out OK.  I decided to put the real hat cut on  the inside of the card.

I used the same background paper here that I used on the front and layered it with white so the stamped sentiment would be easier to read.  The hat is the unedited version of the PDDU hat cut. 

I had so much fun making this card. I hope my sister-in-law loves it as much as I do!

5 comments:

  1. wow really great project. DO NOT FORGET

    MONTHLY GIVEAWAYS

    Stop over at my blog I do monthly giveaways without warning and have a challenge on my contest page. just comment and follow or you can do the challenge too.

    http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the bling! Just wondering how you did hert face....is it with stamps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy (Belated) World Card Making Day from Papercraft Star! We'd love to have you enter some of your inspired projects in our challenges there. We're also having a DT call soon and there is still time to enter our PTI gift certificate drawing too! http://papercraftstar.blogspot.com/2010/09/another-gift-certificate-give-away-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute card! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I found your blog and will be back to see what you create next. I would love for you to visit my blog sometime. jennyscards.blogspot.com
    I just became your newest follower.
    Hugs,jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found you "Lisa B" on the pink stamper site while eating my lunch at work!

    By the way, I created a card for my sister (today is their anniversary) and Ryan told me it looked really good and that you would be proud!

    Thanks for your cute b-day card and can't wait to see you next Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete