Sunday, August 22, 2010

Garden Explosion Birthday Card

Here is another explosion card that I made. It was a birthday card for my Mother-In-Law who loves to garden. Unfortunately this is not a card that you can throw together in just a few minutes, but I think it is really really cute! This is the outside.

Here is the inside of the lid. I used the same paper as I did on all my other explosion cards, K & Company Berry Sweet.

This is the opened card. I used the Walk In My Garden Cart and the border function on the flowers.

This is a close up of the sign that I cut from Walk In My Garden and just wrote Happy Birthday on it.

I hand cut the grass using a grass die cut as a pattern, but discovered later that there is a grass cut on the Sportsmania cart. I also chalked the grass with a darker green chalk to make it look more realistic.

Here is where it gets a little tricky to explain how I attached the flowers to the card. I folded a brown piece of card stock that was measured to fit the lenght of each item. This is a picture of what I started out with. I then mounted the flowers to it and cut around the flowers so I would not have any brown showing on the card.

If you look closely you can see that I cut a small slit in the bottom of the card and slid the flowers (after they were mounted to the brown card stock) through the slit. I had hoped to make a video to post showing how I did this, but I am still working on that idea. If you have any questions just leave a comment for me and I will answer any questions that you have. One thing you will need to keep in mind if you are using several items as I did is to place them in offsetting locations so when the box is folded up they will not touch each other. I should have taken a picture looking into the box to show this, but did not think of that until I gave the card away. Again, if you have any questions, just leave a comment and I will get back to you with the answer.


I also mounted the watering can the same way.

Here is a close up of the section I saved to write a sentiment on. The turtle was cut from the same cart. Isn't he cute!

4 comments:

  1. This is very cute! I think I understand how you did this and will give it a try myself. This "card" is something that definitely needs to be displayed. It could be adopted into any theme and would be great to give to anybody.......even somebody you have know since before you were born. (hint, hint!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa!!! I came by to THANK YOU for your very sweet comment on my blog and I seen this creation!!! What an AMAZING box!!!! It is totally awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lisa,

    I wanted to ask you what measurements you used for the card(size of your cardstock as well as the sizesetting on your cricut).

    I really like the card and im planning to make something like it for my brother-in-law 30th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pommetje007

    I used a 12 X 12 piece of cardstock to make the box and a 7 X 7 piece of cardstock to make the lid. Here is a link to a great video that Denise at Paper Pastime made to show how to make the box.

    http://paperpastime.blogspot.com/2009/11/explosion-box-gift-card-holders.html

    I cut all flowers and the sign at 3 inches because the sides of the box are 4 inches tall, so the flowers easily fit when the box is folded up. I cut the watering can at 1 1/2 inches to make it fit the size of the flowers.

    Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck with your project, I would love to see what you create!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete